Elemental Island
Welcome to Elemental Island! Please Log In or Register.
Elemental Island
Welcome to Elemental Island! Please Log In or Register.
Elemental Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elemental Island

Roleplay on a magical, mythical Island.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Gallery
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland Empty
Latest topics
» Suicide Girls Uk Holiday Free Download
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 3:08 pm by dorekirst

» Mavis Dracula Xxx
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 4:45 am by dorekirst

» Trillian Astra Pro V4.2.0.20-TE
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 2:12 pm by dorekirst

» ITunesSetup
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 9:16 am by dorekirst

» ITunesSetup
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 2:40 am by dorekirst

» Avira Antivir Professional 10.0.0.1012
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:47 am by dorekirst

» After Effects Plugins
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 8:02 am by dorekirst

» After Effects Plugins
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 9:39 pm by dorekirst

» Adobe. Photoshop CS5.9 Extended Edition
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 7:12 pm by dorekirst

Top posters
chickengold92 (294)
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_vote_lcapWhaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_voting_barWhaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_vote_rcap 
Lulkan (282)
Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_vote_lcapWhaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_voting_barWhaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_vote_rcap 
kosovohp (162)
dorekirst (157)
Falcon (128)
Skylark (106)
Wyvern (57)
Aenys Valeryo (40)
lunamoonfang (39)
moonlight172 (37)
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 42 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:19 am

Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kosovohp
Tribe Hero

Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland Empty
PostSubject: Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland   Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 10:31 pm

There are around 1,300 known species of insects in Iceland, which is a rather low number compared with other countries (over one million species have been described worldwide). The only native land mammal when humans arrived was the Arctic Fox,[45] which came to the island at the end of the ice age, walking over the frozen sea. On rare occasions, bats who have been carried to the island with the winds can be seen, but they are not able to breed there. Polar bears have also showed up through the history, yet they are just visitors, and no Icelandic populations exists.[46] There are no native or free living reptiles or amphibians on the island.[47]
An Icelandic sheep

Phytogeographically, Iceland belongs to the Arctic province of the Circumboreal Region within the Boreal Kingdom. According to the World Wide Fund for Nature, the territory of Iceland belongs to the ecoregion of Iceland boreal birch forests and alpine tundra.[citation needed] Approximately three-quarters of the island are barren of vegetation; plant life consists mainly of grassland which is regularly grazed by livestock. The most common tree native to Iceland is the Northern Birch (Betula pubescens), which formerly formed forest over much of Iceland along with Aspen (Populus tremula), Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia) and Common Juniper (Juniperus communis) and other smaller trees.

Permanent human settlement greatly disturbed the isolated ecosystem of thin, volcanic soils and limited species diversity. The forests were heavily exploited over the centuries for firewood and timber. Deforestation caused a loss of critical topsoil due to erosion, greatly reducing the ability of birches to grow back. Today, only a few small birch stands exist in isolated reserves. The planting of new forests has increased the number of trees, but does not compare to the original forests. Some of the planted forests include new foreign species.[45]

The animals of Iceland include the Icelandic sheep, cattle, chicken, goat, the sturdy Icelandic horse, and the Icelandic sheepdog. Many varieties of fish live in the ocean waters surrounding Iceland, and the fishing industry is a main contributor to Iceland's economy, accounting for more than half of the country's total exports. Wild mammals include the Arctic Fox, mink, mice, rats, rabbits and reindeer. Polar bears occasionally visit the island, travelling on icebergs from Greenland. In June 2008, two polar bears arrived in the same month.[48] Birds, especially seabirds, are a very important part of Iceland's animal life. Puffins, skuas, and kittiwakes nest on its sea cliffs.[citation needed]

Commercial whaling is practised intermittently[49][50] along with scientific whale hunts.[51] Whale watching has become an important part of Iceland's economy since 1997.

Cancer Dry Mouth
growing weed
Back to top Go down

Whaling in Iceland and The Botany of Iceland
Page 1 of 1